Sunday, 8 November 2009

Light Fare!!

Diwali, is one of the most important festival of the Hindu Calender. This year it was celebrated on 17th October 2009.Diwali means a festival of lights and prosperity, victory of good over evil, knowledge over ignorance. It is our Christmas and New Year Rolled into one.

For us, importance and significance of festivals have mutiplied more, due to Aditi. Away from home, it is a big challenge for both of us to teach Aditi about the Indian values and traditions.

This Diwali became a more significant as we thanked Goddess Laxmi and Lord Ganesh for our beautiful first home. Preparation for the festival started a few days in advance by cleaning the house, shopping for the day and making sweets. I am glad that Aditi took part in all the activities wih full fun and thrill.

Aditi and myself enjoyed making of Rangoli (floral patterns on the floor) which is must on Diwali. It was cold outsie, but thankfully not pouring down!!!!!!!!!!! Aditi enjoyed with


the brushes and those strokes were eyectaching, she was not willing to give me the brushes back.

A prayer ceromony was performed in the 17th evening.The house was lit with floating tea lights and electric colourful bulbs. Aditi noticed the changes in the house . her comments were Oh nice!! and see!!!!!!!!!!!

No Diwali is complete without indulgent vegetarian meal and fireworks (as it is a religious day, many also shun alcohol). But I think by that time it got too late for Aditi and she wanted her bed. She kind of enjoyed the fireworks and food. Fireworks here to India is very different. I really miss my Indian style of firework. For my brother crackers were never sufficient and I feel Rahul is also the same when it comes to buying fireworks (typicall man thing!!)

On the whole we enjoyed the day to the fullest, and the day remains really special: I hope it never changes.